Birthday Cake Results Are In!


My dad's birthday is coming up at the end of August and at the end of July I decided to try and make my father a birthday cake from scratch, what do you get a father who has everything?  Something from the heart, like making a special birthday cake from scratch.  So I've tried a couple different recipes, less than I wanted to try but honestly I can't keep eating all these cakes and things!

I made a Carrot Cake with Mascarpone Lime Icing which put up a really good fight, it was tasty and different but at the end it just seemed too casual for a birthday occasion.



Then I tried the Vanilla Almond Cake with Chocolate Frosting and sliced strawberries, I took the first bite and knew this wasn't the cake, too sweet, and Dad doesn't like too sweet, plus this cake was too much like a birthday cake.



When I started this whole project I started by making a mixed berry pavlova, the cake-ish dessert that I name the winner.  I never had meringue before and the only way I can describe it is that it tastes very much like roasted marshmallows.  It was slightly crispy and crunchy on the outside and yet the inside was soft and gooey, kind of caramely.  It was different, special and tasted absolutely fantastic and sophisticated!  I know my father will enjoy this dessert immensely and can't think of a better birthday dessert!


Unfortunately I didn't document the Mixed Berry Pavlova that I made but promise to do so on the special day, instead please click here to get to the Barefoot Contessa short 2-3 minute video of how to make this wonderful dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...