Did You Know there's two steps to cooking perfect brown rice?


I'm not sure how many of you made the same mistake I did in thinking that it took the same amount of effort to cook brown rice as it does white rice. The first and only time I tried to cook brown rice, a long long time ago, I stuck it in the rice-cooker, what I ended up with was mushy brown rice that was only partially cooked- a total catastrophe and of course not very yummy. Ever since that one time brown rice has been a bit of mystery to me.

But in my efforts to a healthier eating, since I've been really packing on the pounds at 5 months pregnant, I've replaced my white rice with brown rice. I came home from the market with a whole bag of brown rice and remembered how awful that one time was, my mind went into a little panic and my fingers frenziedly typed out 'how to cook perfect brown rice' - 'SEARCH'. What I found was a two step process on how to cook perfect brown rice in two steps, not as easy as pressing the 'cook' button on the rice cooker but still easy enough for perfect brown rice.

This is what Saveur suggests, and... it really does work, you'll come out with perfect brown rice, I did.

Makes 2 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice
Kosher salt, to taste (optional)

Instructions:
1. Rince rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.

2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt (optional).


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...