Blu Jam Cafe: Chicken Schnitzel with Red Wine Sangria followed by espresso topped with whipped cream


And to think I almost felt bad about Mr. Borscht having to look for parking for a full 15 minutes, we found one of course.... four blocks away, then had to walk on empty stomachs growling in anger for not being fed dinner on time.  But the whole trouble was well worth it.  Dinner at Blu Jam Cafe... yum~.


We made it just in time and was able to put our order in a mere five minutes before the kitchen closed, the rest of the customers had virtually cleared out and only three tables sat occupied, I at first felt anxious of the situation, I don't like to keep people waiting especially waiters who have been working all day and can't wait to get home {I completely understand being a waitress myself back in the day}.  But after a few sips of the red wine sangria the anxiety soon left me, and I was feeling pre~tty gooood.     

The red wine sangria is made of fresh juices, cinnamon and sparkling wine, nothing really special, definitely not as good as the homemade stuff {then again, nothing is good as home made anything, in my opinion} never-the-less it was refreshing and tasted of sangria... and most importantly, contained alcohol which is exactly what I needed at the time.  But I'll have to remember to try the white wine sangria next time which sounded awfully interesting: fresh juices, mint and sparkling wine.

When they say "cinnamon" in the red wine sangria, they really mean
cinnamon.  Just look at the cinnamon stick that was hiding at the very
bottom of my sangria cup.


Imagine BBQ pulled pork, carmelized onions and pineapple salsa smack dab in the middle of a soft brioche burger bun, the Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich on the Special's is absolutely spectacular.  For those of you who love BBQ sauce, pulled pork and spice you are going to love this burger!  A bite into the Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich made my eyes bulge, yes, it was that good.  The smoky sweetness of the BBQ with the tenderness of the pulled pork and the sweet zing, yes, sweet zing! Of the pineapple salsa that had just the right amount of spiciness is... is, lets just put it this way, it gave me a whole new outlook on BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.  Now I can imagine all the possibilities! NO- now I can taste all the possibilities!

The sandwich came with a side of salad which consisted of arugula, only, fresh arugula.  The arugula salad was dressed lightly with a citrus vinaigrette that tasted lightly of orange and lemon, simple and delicious, which is perfect for this burger considering how complex the flavor is.



Chicken Schnitzel is worth the gluten pain.  Two pieces of pounded chicken that is breaded and pan fried with a side of roasted green beans and to-die for mashed potatoes.  If there's one side you have to order at Blu Jam it's the mashed potatoes {HANDS DOWN}.  The chicken itself was moist which is the norm for pounded chicken, the texture was perfect, moist chicken on the inside and crusty fried bread on the outside.  But I think... without the potatoes this dish would not have been the same.  The mashed potatoes is melt-in-your-mouth and yet the firmness still head on the plate and on the fork {I like that} it was a bit salty and slightly buttery... and something else, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  The extra flavorful mash potatoes with a bite of the crusty but moist chicken together is... *sigh* heaven.  If you want something but don't know what, something neutral with no surprises but absolutely delish, do try the Chicken Schnitzel, maybe it'll do for you what it did for me :)  I'm all smiles.



The dinner ended with a small single espresso topped with whipped cream. The espresso at Blu Jam comes without whipped cream but I always take my espresso with a dollop and the waiter was amiable enough to comply, "thank you Charles!".  

And then dinner was over, Tummy was full and very happy and now all we had to do was walk four blocks back to the car... but it was all worth it.

This was my first dinner at Blu Jam, I know that Blu Jam serves a mean breakfast so I was quite excited to try out their dinner and boy do they serve up a mean dinner as well.  One of the things I dislike about restaurants is when they are inconsistent, I really do dislike the hit-or-miss type places< you can't really tell whether those hit-or-miss restaurants are good or not can you?  So far, Blu Jam Cafe has been spot on every single time.


Total Damage: $51.98

2 Red Wine Sangria
1 Chicken Schnitzel
1 Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwich Special
2 single Espressos with whip cream


7371 Melrose Ave.
LA CA 90046
(323) 951.9191


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...