Keeping it fresh: Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers Bisquits


A few nights ago Mr. Borscht and I wanted to make these delicious Pillsbury Grands bisquits as a side to go with our dinner, I took the cold tube out ready to have fun with the peeling and popping!  If you've ever made bisquits or croissants from these Pillsbury tubes you know what I speak of.  I looked at the directions written on the tube, I usually forget to read the directions before I peel and pop the tube open which results in a painful 5 minutes of trying to read from a piece of peeled and curling paper.

"I wish there was a way to only make 2 or 4 of these bisquits" I said to Mr. Borscht "we always have left overs and they don't keep well at all",  Mr. Borscht put his hands against his chin, legs crossed and eyes rolling up "Hmmm..." he sounded.

"I wonder if I could just refrigerate the dough?" I said to him

"Let's look it up on line!" He briskly led the way to the computer.

Googling how to keep Pillsbury dough fresh for another day wasn't that hard to find, it seemed we were not the only couple with this dilemma, however no one really seemed to know.  There were many suggestion including one very funny one 'tell them to behave' someone said, another said that the Pillsbury bisquits came in tubes of 4 as well- we'll look for them next time but I don't remember ever having seen one.

The two suggestions that seemed would work were: 1.  Take the unused dough and store it in a plastic bag or container with a few drop of water to keep it moist, and 2.  Take the baked but uneaten bisquits, wrap it in foil and store it in a plastic container in the refrigerator, when ready to be eaten reheat in the foil at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

"They both seem like good ideas" I said to Mr. Borscht with a perplexed face, the wheels in my head were turning rapidly as I tried to figure out which was the best option, cook, store and reheat OR store fresh?  The science was bubbling and spluttering in the brain as I tried to logically figure out if storing fresh dough with a few drops of water would keep it moist without compromising the dough in any way, or was it better to risk the dough being slightly drier by simply reheating the left overs the next day?

"Do both and experiment" Mr. Borscht merely said without even a raise in the brow.

It was an absolutely great idea!  And so I did.

Here are the results friends out there who equally love as much as I the Pillsbury bisquits, however falter from the sheer force of the quantity that must be consumed or else.


The tubes come with 8 bisquits, I made 6 as instructed, 2 of these 6 bisquits are to be stored and reheated for another day.



After cooling 2 bisquits, I wrapped in foil and then stored them in a plastic container where it would sit in the refrigerator for 2 days.



I had two fresh uncooked dough from the tube, I put these in a plastic bag with a few drops of water, I manually sucked the air out of the bag by zipping the bag leaving about 1-inch of space where I sucked out as much air as I could using my mouth and then zipping it all the way across.  This also went into the refrigerator where it would sit for 2 days.



Here they both sit quietly, contemplating life and all it's misgivings.



Two days later Mr. Borscht and I decide it is time to end this experiment and hopefully find an answer to our pitiful first world problems.

To simply reheat the left over bisquits I loosely covered the bisquits in foil where it would reheat in the preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.

For the uncooked dough that was stored with a few drops of water, I merely laid out on the baking sheet and baked for 14 minutes in the preheated 350 degree oven.



The reheated bisquits when eaten warm were quite good, they were slightly chewier and ever so slightly dense in the middle opposed to their original flaky and light texture.  However, the reheated bisquits only seemed to be good when eaten warn, once they cooled down, as these bisquits do quite quickly, the chewy and ever-so-slightly dense texture turned very dense, stale and loafy.



The bisquits that were stored with a few drops of water baked well and turned golden as it usually does in the oven in it's normal state, they looked a little odd at first as they didn't have the obvious layers as they normally do and looked more like a roll than a bisquit.  Careful not to burn myself on the baking pan I took my spatula and tried to take bisquits off the foil-lined baking pan, this was hard to do as they were pretty well stuck on there, I realized maybe I should have greased the foil.  After a couple of minutes of fighting with both the foil and the bisquit I was soon able to transfer them to a plate for the real test... taste.


They were wonderful for being dough from a tube that had been stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.  They didn't have as many layers as they normally do but they tasted almost just the same, the very bottom of the bisquit was thick crispy which Mr. Borscht seemed to really like.  Other than the fact that these bisquits seemed more like bread rolls on the outside, they were quite good.

So, if you've got the same problem we have where you have too many Pillsbury bisquits to eat, storing the dough with a few drops of water in a plastic ziploc bag is the way to go.  And there you have it.


43 comments:

  1. Thank you and Mr. Borscht. I am making fries peach pies tonite but I only want to use 3 biscuits. Now I know it is possible to save the unused dough. I can make fresh pies the next day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was going to start looking for that recipe! It sounded extra decadent! 🤓

      Delete
    2. I always cook all8 biscuits then store left over biscuits in ziplock bag. At least a week and microwave for 30 seconds and consume.

      Delete
  3. These also come frozen in a bag and you take out and bake off however many you want

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, my husband and I were wondering how we can "save" our biscuits because we usually only eat half the can. This saved me from my own experiments, thank you so much plan to try this at the beginning of this week! Thank goodness we don't have to waste food :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in the same situation as you. I am glad that you posted this. THANKS! (=^_^=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your testing both methods! I am cooking for one, and hate that I can't make so many thing easily....have to try different ways. Thanks again for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I found your blog while googling how to keep the unused biscuit dough fresh after opening the tube! Thank you so much for your post. I am off to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, I was just wondering the same thing. Many people only need enough for 2 and don't want to waste the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info, hopefully this works with croissants as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your efforts and for this very helpful information!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your efforts and for this very helpful information!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. This has frustrated me for years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. This has frustrated me for years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and Mr. Borscht sound like delightful people and I'm pleased to have a tested and proven response. Your blog is a hoot and I am subscribing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a genius blog post :) thanks for testing this and writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could always freeze a few sticks of butter and chop them finally put back in freezer with a few cups of flour overnight and then in the morning add a little salt baking soda buttermilk. You can make one really big Biscuit or 10 tiny biscuits. And once you do it a couple times making 2 biscuit and for biscuit pre batches and all you gotta do is add buttermilk to it's pretty easy and a lot cheaper but good luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. You could always freeze a few sticks of butter and chop them finally put back in freezer with a few cups of flour overnight and then in the morning add a little salt baking soda buttermilk. You can make one really big Biscuit or 10 tiny biscuits. And once you do it a couple times making 2 biscuit and for biscuit pre batches and all you gotta do is add buttermilk to it's pretty easy and a lot cheaper but good luck

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another way to do this is to put all of the biscuits in the oven, but remove those that you aren't going to eat immediately when they just start turning a tan-ish color. I like to take them out before that, but whichever works best for you.

    Put those biscuits on a cooling rack and let the rest bake to your usual doneness. Once the biscuits have cooled, place them in a plastic bag and freeze. When you want them, take out what you need, let them thaw for a bit (or not. Experiment! :D ) and bake them the rest of the way in your oven or toaster oven or toaster. Whichever works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sometimes use mine for quiche crust in ramekins or I cook all of the biscuits and save extra biscuits in a Ziploc bag at room temperature for a couple of days and I haven't died yet though they do become quite dense but recover well from a re-heat; it's just a biscuit, eat it.
    I may store some uncooked in the fridge or freezer. Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great! Thank you for figuring this out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading your piece. I wanted to freeze them for a while, and defrost. I will do and let you know how THAT worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a single person that loves Biscuits, I prefer the Biscuits in the freezer section of the store. I can make a couple at a time. They are quite good :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this blog! I was just googling how to do this and bam, I get the tested and approved answer! So awesome of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, true, we all have had this problem with biscuits in the tube. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very helpful! Thank you.
    Check out www.chocolateratings.wordpress.com for over 400 reviews of chocolate from around the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Most bread items do very well re-heated in a microwave. Biscuits only take about 15-20 seconds, at least the Popeye's version. Can slice and add a pat of butter beforehand as well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so MUCH for your post! Your website was the first one I saw and I was so happy to see someone had gone through this before. I have tried the reheat method where I stored the cooked Grands in aluminum foil in the refrigerator (just by experimentation) then reheated them in the oven and they turned out very close to the same texture and consistency as the first time. Actually to me, it was softer which I liked very much but that's because we ate them right away out of the oven. They didn't have a chance to get cool :). Since my partner has complained about making too much food lately, (hence my presence on your blog) I cannot wait to try the uncooked storage method. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was just looking for this. I live alone, I wanted some 'pigs in a blanket.' Now I know I can use what I want and store the rest. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. If you want the same quality as when you first opened then do this. Open the can differently, use a knife and cut one end off, once you make a couple of slits the lid should one right off. Take out a couple of biscuits then place the lid back in the can and press it down, fold the sides over the lid to hold it down, place back in refrigerator. I have kept 10 days like this and just the same quality as when I first opened. Try it, just be careful when opening with knife.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have pizza dough and only need half. I will try the ziplock bag and see how it works. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you this was very helpful. My Walmart sells the shorter 4-roll tubes but that requires an extra trip for groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you so much for doing this experiment 🙌🏾🙌🏾. By the by...excellent story telling !!! I felt like I was in the corner of your kitchen watching 😉😎

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was seriously so helpful. Thank you for taking the time. It’s times like this that I love the internet

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now I want to know if freezing is better than reheating lol I was looking for an option like this and saw your blog post! I also saw several recommendations that said to freeze them then just heat and eat like normal ....hmmm an experiment may follow lol...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like my biscuit fresh. Ill definitely give the few drops of water in a ziplock bag a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...