Cafe Midi Pt. 2, The First Breakfast


Saturday morning Mr. Borscht and I decided to have a late breakfast at Cafe Midi, it was now my chance to get a taste of the food for I already know that their coffee here, whether it be the Vennoise or the Mocha, iced or hot, is great.  I called and made breakfast reservations for 10:30AM only to arrive and find out that reservations were not needed at all.  Outside the tables on the sidewalk at front of Cafe Midi sat bare, as well as the tables inside.

We sat down and got right down to business.




Naturally we both started with coffee,
"Two mochas please"

The fabulous Mocha

Mr. Borscht is about to know what fabulous tastes like

Mr. Borscht ordered his first mocha at Cafe Midi, I sat across him very excited for his first experience, and found out what I already knew, he loved it.  Mr. Borscht is an omelet man, an omelet is what he usually orders for breakfast anywhere else in town and today is no different, in a way it makes it the perfect dish for him to gauge the food here at Cafe Midi since he's had omelets everywhere else in town as well.  Today, the Peasant omelet, mushrooms, onions, potatoes and Brie cheese.  The mushrooms were cooked into the egg, rosemary potatoes, creamy Brie cheese and carmelized onions.  Mr. Borscht has ordered this particular omelet elsewhere just recently (at Figaro Bistrot), which I had my complaints about and so when he decided to order the Peasant Omelet I was... a bit dissapointed.  Thankfully however, I was pleasantly surprised.



My first meal at Cafe Midi, I had a rather hard time choosing what to order, I took my time and opted for the crab cake with spinach and poached egg on an english muffin.  The wait did not take long, the plate was set before me and the first thing I did was... just... stare at the beautiful creation, it looked like art.  My eyes ran down it, poached egg, the white stood out bright on top of the spinach and sat high on top the crab cake that looked deliciously crunchy.  I couldn't wait to dig in and didn't wait for long as a matter of fact.  The combination of the creamy yoke, soft spinach and crunchy crab cake was absolutely divine.  The tastes were perfectly suited for each other, neither of the ingredients being too much stronger than the other, the poached egg, spinach and crab cake all sang subtle and harmonious. 

Though I find it hard to speak of my experience with the side of potatoes after having given this eloquent rave about the crab cake, I will say this, the potatoes crunchy on the outside, soft and moist inside with just a hint of rosemary.

Though this is but my first breakfast at Cafe Midi I can say this, that my impression thus far is that the food here is subtle in taste, not too much salt, not too much pepper, not too much sauce, not too many herbs, not too many spices- I think this is just wonderful.  Eloquent dishes that stand on their flavors alone proves that there is a real kitchen at work behind closed doors where true flavors of key ingredients are used to create art for the tongue!



The Damage:  $41.00

2 Mochas
1 Crab cake with Spinach and Poached Eggs on an English Muffin
1 Peasant Omelette



Cafe Midi
148 S. La Brea Ave
LA CA 90036
(323) 939.9860


1 comment:

  1. I value a every bit of information encoded in this webpage, its such a pertinent one best at home yoga program for beginners

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...