Noshi Sushi


Mr. Borscht and I have a thing for sushi, we absolutely can't live without it!  When we resided in the beautiful yet boring city of Santa Barbara there was always this one sushi place we would go to for our sushi fill, so naturally when we moved to Los Angeles we immediately began the hunt for a sushi place we can turn to should the need arise.  There are some rules and guidelines to be qualified as the sushi restaurant of our choice.

Rules & Guidelines:

1.  Must be clean
2.  Atmosphere must be casual and comfortable
3.  Service must be fast and friendly
4.  Must be affordable
5.  Must be fresh!
6.  Must be within 10miles of home

As of late we've only gone to one place for sushi, this place is called Noshi Sushi.  The more Mr. Borscht and I go to Noshi Sushi the more we love Noshi Sushi.  Last night we had sushi at Noshi Sushi, this is how it went.

Weekend evenings is always packed with a wait, Wednesday night 6:45PM we got a booth for two right away- we are pleasantly surprised by the no wait and also by the amount of white folks that are eating sushi and not just California rolls either!  I think this is really something great.


We begin with as customary Miso soup and a side of seaweed salad (not so customary).  The miso was lightly salty, less flavorful and more watery than I would have liked, if I absolutely loved miso soup this would have been a great disadvantage to Noshi but I'm not a fan of miso soup in the first place, so I let this one slide.

Tonight is the first time I try Noshi's seaweed salad and it was absolutely delicious!  Salty with just the right amount of... is that ponzu sauce?  And it is fresh Fresh FRESH!  I practically ate the whole bowl myself and really had to stop myself from drinking the sauce at the bottom of the bowl.


If you like seaweed salad I highly recommend trying it here at Noshi

First items to be served were the albacore sushi and the halibut sushi, the albacore was soft and buttery and really very quite good, however for all you beginner sushi eaters I would suggest staying away from albacore the first time around, it can be quite soft and buttery which I can understand be somewhat of a turn-off.  The Halibut at Noshi however is a DO TRY  as it was spectacular fresh with good texture, and with the toppings of scallions and ginger sauce it was mouth-watering.

To the left is Albacore sushi, to the right is Halibut sushi


Next, a plate of two types of rolls consisting of  rather large cut yellowtail rolls and  spicy tuna rolls, we also have on the plate salmon sushi, Fresh water eel (AKA Unagi) sushi, and a spicy tuna hand roll (which is the exact same thing as the spicy tuna rolls, just rolled differently).

Tummy is a big fan of Unagi, fresh water eel, this is served grilled and topped with sauce, I was a bit disappointed in the size of the Unagi here at Noshi, I've definitely had larger sized Unagi's at other restaurants as well as less bony and much softer but it is tasty all the same and Tummy will have to suggest to give this a try. The salmon was delicious and the yellowtail rolls which included lettuce was incredibly simple yet fresh and tasty in a very pure-taste kind of way, with each bite I was able to taste the lettuce as well as the yellowtail and thought it amazing how two very simple flavors were able to come through in one bite.

My least favorite on the plate was the spicy tuna roll, the spicy tuna roll at Noshi is a bit... mushy and something about the flavors reminds me of mayo, which I'm not a very big fan of.  I like my spicy tuna rolls to have dices of tuna with spicy sauce and whatnot on it, if mush and mayo aren't your thing- stay away from this Noshi roll.


Mr. Borscht and I finished our meal with a half order (5-piece) salmon sashimi plate.  The slices were thick and large and so was more like 8-10-pieces in quantity, it was incredibly fresh.  Everytime Mr. Borscht and I have ordered sashimi here it has never ceased to amaze in quality, this being said, naturally all the fish in any of the rolls and plates here are fresh which of course is key to sushi.  This is our 3rd sushi dinner here at Noshi and we both unanimous in vote that "yes' we do love it more and more everytime we come here, thus I've finally made up my mind to designate Noshi Sushi as my go-to sushi place in Los Angeles.


Couple of Noshi Sushi suggestions for all you beginner sushi eaters:

1.  Stay away from the albacore
2.  Definitely try:  Halibut sushi, Unagi sushi, salmon sushi & salmon sashimi
3.  And if you feel daring... do try the seaweed salad

1 Order of unagi sushi
1 Order of halibut sushi
1 Order of salmon sushi
1 Order of albacore sushi
1 Half order of Salmon sashimi
1 Order of spicy tuna hand roll
1 Order of spicy tuna roll
1 Order of Yellowtail roll
1 Miso soup
1 Seaweed salad

The Damage:  $41.87




Noshi Sushi
4430 Beverly Blvd
LA CA 90004
(323) 469.3458

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...